Thursday, July 14, 2011

It Costs

I've grown up in a Baptist church my entire life, but I don't define my religion by this basis.
There are far too many divisions amongst Christians because one sprinkles, one dunks, one listens to hymns, and the other needs ear buds at church.
While all along there is a spiritual warfare over souls going on right around them.

However, I will say, I am starting to realize the "Baptist Bubble" I have been in has rendered me oblivious to certain aspects of church culture outside of my norm.

While in conversation with an older couple the other night, one of them remarked about how they could never be a Baptist because of "all the alter calls."
To my naive mind, I assumed alter calls were a common practice amongst any and all churches.
Apparently, this is not so.
I kindo've got a kick out of the couple's perceptions from the outside looking in and found the conversation very interesting.

I began thinking about all of the alter calls I have sat and prayed through and even the one I responded to.
Often times, I recall hearing phrases such as:
"what have you to loose?"
"nothing is free in life, but accepting Christ as your Savior is a free gift."
"You are not promised tomorrow, your life could come to an end on the ride home from this service."

Now, I understand the good intentions behind all of these phrases and such, but in reflection, I couldn't help but question if this is how Jesus would really have us propose salvation.

As I read the Bible now, no longer looking to pull the nice and leave the realistic, I am struck by the contrast between our explanation of Christianity, salvation, and such and that which the Bible offers.
In fact, I am fairly certain that I have participated in the cheapening of Christianity, the cheapening of my Savior even.

During Christ's ministry here on Earth, 
He met potential Christians with phrases such as:
"Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."
"Go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
"Leave the dead to bury their own."
And so on.

What version of Christianity have I been presenting to people?
Not this one.
Not that to which we are truly called.
No, salvation is not by our works, but it will cost us everything.
It's a relationship of self denial, self sacrifice, loathing of all that is natural to us.
It's not easy, cheap, or any other demeaning adjective I have ashamedly used to describe the relationship I share with my Savior.

Lord, move me out of the way.
They need to hear it from you.
You are worth the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment