Sunday, November 20, 2011

Joy

I had one of those moments today where I was just overwhelmed with joy.

With my favorite winter Starbucks drink in hand,
(tall skinny peppermint mocha for any of you wanting to know the key to my heart)
being subtly serenaded by the beautiful voice of Brooke Fraser,
watching the sunset on a cool fall afternoon,
I could not help but smile.

No, this Earth is not our home,
every day we are at war with our very selves,
but there are subtle reminders of goodness all around 
and constant opportunities to choose joy.

The Lord longs to captivate our hearts and very lives.
But we must open our eyes to His presence and stirring.
And in those moments, I believe the peace of His presence brings an assurance of joy.

1 Peter 1:8-9 reminds us that "Though [we] have not seen him, [we] love him.
Though [we] do not now see him, [we] believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls."

Here is the realization I came to:
Joy in a world fixed with such sorrow points to someone worth being joyous over.
Joy turns our focus heavenward and glorifies the Father. 
Choose joy today.
Rejoice in salvation, rejoice in knowing that your Heavenly Father delights in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment