Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Voice For The Homeless

     Writing is something very near and dear to my heart. 
I'm very amateur, still very unsure of myself in this area sometimes, but I have a passion to learn, develop, and grow as a writer.

     My dream is to one day write something that will change someone. Yes, even if it is just one person, I will be more than ecstatic. In fact, I often wonder if some of the tests I have recently experienced are avenues that I will one day write about and hopefully help another through.

   However, for now, I have a lot to learn : ) Therefore, I began searching for an internship at the beginning of the summer  and through what I consider to be a total 'God Thing' was connected with Speak Up Magazine. One thing lead to another and I now have the great privilege of being an intern with the local street magazine in Charlotte.

    The faith of the couple, Lana and Matt Shaw, who began Speak Up Mag is of such a high caliber that I am consistently stunned. The mission of Speak Up is to provide "a voice for the homeless" through a publicized, monthly magazine. One of the most interesting aspects of Speak Up is that the job of issuing the magazine will be given to the homeless members of our community, which will then in turn provide them with an opportunity to acquire a "livable income."

     I am currently working on a series highlighting the issue of homelessness amongst children in Charlotte. The need is so great, as I am learning. My heart has been burdened since beginning the series, for the children within my own community who survive day to day without a place to call home. (I have posted one short piece about the series on the Speak Up Blog - found on the website linked below).

Also, here is a video of Mr. & Mrs. Shaw where you get to hear them explain Speak Up and share their hearts:
 .


Vision

To speak up for the voiceless, defend the defenseless, stand up for the destitute and reach out to the needy.

Mission

To combat regional homelessness through jobs and advocacy for the homeless and by educating and inspiring the non-homeless public.


I invite you to read more about Speak Up and maybe even get involved, if you feel led.
The Speak Up Mag website can be found here:  http://www.speakupmag.org/

2 comments:

  1. Jordan, it's hannah.. :) You are an amazing writer. Don't be unsure; You have a gift. Just keep doing what you're doing.

    And yes... I follow your blog.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, you are always so kind and encouraging : ) Not only that but now I know I'm not always just typing to myself, haha.

    But honestly, I am so thankful to have someone like you in my life always providing just what I need to hear, at just the right time!

    : )
    You rock.

    ReplyDelete