Wednesday, July 7, 2010

But...It's Only 8 Hours.


The title of this blog came about during a conversation my sweet mother and I had just this month. As I proposed the idea of touring Samford University, red flags went up for her at the thought of "her baby girl living all the way in Alabama." My point of reasoning, unbelievably week in hindsight, was "True, but...it's only 8 hours from home, mom."
If that doesn't get you off to a good start, I don't know what would, right? Wrong!
After some discussion, and better tactics on my part, we decided to attend the Summer Conference for Prospective Students at Samford University, which will be taking place this weekend!!!!
It goes without saying that I am thoroughly excited, but I have also had to take a step back and look at the big picture. As much as I may love everything I know about Samford, a church I found 15 minutes away from campus, and the list goes on, God is the one with the preordained, perfect plan for not only college, but my entire life. The last thing I want to do is get so far ahead of myself that I cannot hear Him speak and I miss out on any part of that.
So, as thrilled as I may be for the visit, my prayer is no longer that Samford live up to my expectations and that I absolutely fall in love with it this weekend. 
Rather, I simply ask God that He would speak. Move in my life. Make Himself real, especially in this situation, and that the desires of my heart would match His accordingly.
Whether it be Samford, LU, Chapel Hill, Elon, Clemson...you name it, I yearn to follow God's "good, pleasing, and perfect will," for my life.

Above all else, thus far, I have realized that I must "be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him" (Psalms 37:7). Not only concerning the college searching process, but life in general. I truly believe learning how to truly be still in God's presence will be an invaluable lifelong lesson.

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome adventure you are about to embark on...and you get to do with Jesus as your best friend! So proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell your mom that if you go to Samford, the Knowles can help take care of you! We are moving to Birmingham at the end of this month. :)
    What church are you talking about that you loved....Church of Brookhills?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Summeyyy! -- Thank you so much for that :) You're an encourager and I couldn't imagine attempting to walk through this process without Him...overwhelmed X10!

    Mr. & Mrs. Knowles -- Is that so!?! We know all of...no one down that way, so we are both so excited to hear that. I absolutely fell in love, head over heels in love, with Samford this weekend. I plan to visit as much as possible this school year, so maybe I'll even get to see you all soon!
    I'm not familiar with the area, but about how far away from campus are you moving?

    & Church of Brookhills is it! I began reading the book 'Radical' by David Platt and I just love his approach and values. Although, I haven't ever actually visited the church. Have you all been by any chance?
    Thank you so much for being so kind and comforting, any familiar faces would be such a huge blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jordan!
    I just ran back across your blog. We have been here in Birmingham for about a month now and are getting settled in. We are only about 10 minutes away from Samford. In fact, Mason's pediatrician is located right beside Samford's campus.
    We have been gong to Church of Brookhills since we moved here and we LOVE it!! God is doing an amazing work through this body of believers. We are excited to be a part of it and be challenged by it. Radical is an awesome, awesome book and is very much true to the heart of David Platt and the members of the church. They have a great college ministry as well.
    If you need anything when you visit let us know! You can email me at heatherhknowles@Gmail.com or get my cell phone number from Paige.....I mean, Mrs. Summey. ;)
    you'll have to keep us updated on your college search and definitely let us know if you are coming to Samford. It is a great school! Flights between Birmingham and Charlotte are really cheap too. :)
    have a great senior year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there!!!

    That is SO fun & I'm glad to hear you are getting settled in! Are you enjoying the area so far? It is so gorgeous!
    Oh my goodness, I would love to even get to experience one Sunday worship service at Brookhills! His book changed my outlook on life completely. I certainly would love to get involved!
    Thank you so much for your kindness & encouragement, it is greatly appreciated and I most definitely will have to take you up on that : ) I pray that you all continue to adjust well!!!!
    Also, I was shocked at some of the prices for flights that I found, the were so much less expensive than I had imagined them to be.
    Thank you again & I'll let you know when I'm headed down that way : )

    ReplyDelete