Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lovers Day

As Valentins Day came back around this year, it played out much differently than ever before.
Typically, many hours of moping and self pity would have been brought to a conclusion by the annual family trip out for a quick dinner. I always wanted to tack a big 'lame' sticker across my forehead and crawl in a corner. 
Not so this year.
Something was very different. No moping or sad songs for me. 
As I have begun to turn my eyes towards Christ and towards my Abba Father for love and fulfillment, I have found the deepest, most fulfilling love that I had never known. 
I stood in Food Lion having to play the role of 'promotions girl' for the day. Ironic. A seven hour shift later, I had reached the conclusion that no amount of flowers that will one day wilt, chocolate that will (if you are like me) be soon gone, or sappy cards will complete a person. Yes, they might give you 'that feeling,' for a moment, but in the end, they will only leave a person wanting.
Don't get me wrong, there is not a thing in the world wrong with making Valentine's Day something of a celebration with those items, so long as you keep in mind that the ultimate gift and picture of love is something far more simple.


It is a picture of the cross.
A cross where a man died for you. 
Knowing that you would cheat on Him, leave Him in the dust, ignore His calls, et cetera, et cetera. 
Talk about a broken relationship.
So what does He do? He dies. Gives all that He has, so that one day you might come back to Him and realize that He was all that you are looking for and more.
Makes the flowers and cards look slightly less glamorous huh?


So however you spent this last 'lovers' day, keep in mind, you are loved with a steadfast love, not tainted by human sin. 
There is a man waiting to court you, open your eyes dear one, His name is Jesus.


I wrote this as something of a love letter of gratitude to my Valentine.


My Valentine...

He reminds me daily that I am His and He is mine.
He laid His life down for me.
He sees beauty within.
He whispers 'I love you' when I need to hear it most.
He wrote arguably the longest love letter in all of history.

In fact, my Valentine IS love in essence and He desires your heart as well

No comments:

Post a Comment