Sunday, February 20, 2011

Tears and Target

Today, I cried. Right in the middle of Target.
Target of all places!

Call me crazy, maybe I am, I was simply overwhelmed. 
Overwhelmed by God. His sovereignty, His goodness.

Let me explain.
I'm not sure I've fully conveyed how much so the Lord's hand of guidance and provision has been upon my college search process. It is simply breathtaking to me.

As I abandoned my dream of going to the school I fell in love with over the summer, Samford University, because of the daunting financial aspect, I reasoned my way right outside of God's will.
In fact, I enrolled at a school that is absolutely amazing, wonderful, and Christ-focused, but not where the Lord is leading me for my college career.

The doors began to close, or should I say slam.
I had door after door after door forcefully shut right in my face.

Midway through my senior year, having only applied to one school, I felt like a lost puppy dog in a big mess. I fell prostrate on my bedroom floor night after night...after night.

I was broken and confused, but the sovereign Lord wanted me to bring my burdens to Him, and after quite some time I finally did, and when I finally handed the situation over to the Lord, the most glorious thing happened, I was able to watch Him work! 

I knew that I would have to begin applying other places as I took it to the Lord in prayer day after day. So in faith, I sent out a couple applications, the first of which was to Samford. I did not know why in the world, because it was too expensive, too far out of my reach...but not God's.

Within a couple weeks I received a YES from Samford and heard not a word from any of the other schools, in fact I still have not. As I began to seek the Lord's guidance about the financial aspect of it, I stumbled across a couple scholarships that really caught my eye.
One was entitled the Presidential Scholarship for academic achievements, worth up to full tuition and the other entitled the Premin Scholars Program.
The later of the two captured my heart in essence. This program is specifically designed for people called to the ministry, to strengthen and support them in their call. I discovered this scholarship the week the deadline was approaching and submitted my materials just in time.

A couple months went by and the greatest news EVER came.
I received letters within a couple weeks of each other saying that I had been selected as a candidate for BOTH scholarships! 
From there it has been a whirlwind...I have traveled to Alabama twice in the last month, interviewed, done writing assessments, met with professors, had dinner with the president, and I could go on. 
Honestly some of the most nerve wracking and exciting experiences of my life.

Well, this weekend I heard back that I received both the Premin and the Presidential Scholarship!
PRAISE HIM. Oh my goodness y'all, my neighbors must know that I got the news because my vocal chords have never reached such a high pitch shrill. 

Then, for the cherry on top, the Lord answered my very very very fervent prayers about the roommate situation (all in the same weekend might I add). The girl who I had been in contact with the past couple months just received a scholarship this past week as well that will allow her to attend Samford next year so we have both agreed to enter this next exciting chapter as roommates. Our prayer is that as two girls seeking to know the Lord's heart, we might grow and learn together, while striving for His glory.


Hence the tears in Target. I don't know why then or there, but all of this just hit like a tidal wave.
Y'all God is good. Don't forget it!

No comments:

Post a Comment