Saturday, May 28, 2011

Where You Go, I Will Follow

With blurry vision my eyes scanned the room.
I wanted to remember every moment of tonight, ever hug, every tear, every laugh, everything.
These people, these 81 people, they were more than classmates, 'peers', or any other 'cordial' word.
They were family.
There are few times in life where I have yearned to press pause. Typically, I'm more of the "let's fast forward" kinda girl. Tonight taught me that contentment is a beautiful thing. So often in high school I was not content in any way shape or form. 
As a freshman, I wanted to be a sophomore.
In December, I wanted Christmas break.
In May, I wanted to be on summer break.
As a Senior, I wanted to be in college.
But tonight, graduation night, I was content with being just who I was: a graduate, surounded by my family of 13 years, watching relationships that had been built over more than a decade.
This side of heaven, I will probably never comprehend what a profound impact Hickory Grove Christian had on my life, but I do know that God has used that school and church in mighty ways.

I never did find that pause button I longed for tonight.
Time went on and a chapter of my life closed.
But if I could look every one of my fellow graduates in the face again tonight, I would tell them this:

I want to hear that you have done great things, that you have gone far, accomplished much, fought fair and tough, but most of all I want to hear that you are all about one thing: Jesus Christ.
Love Him, cling to Him, desire Him, seek Him, and build your life on Him.
And most importantly, I will see you in heaven someday, where we can join with one voice, and remember the times we shared.

In a time when it is common to look forward to the next thing, a time filled with so much anticipation, ironically, I challenge you tonight to be content. Soak up every moment and don't let a second pass you by, because this life is but a breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment