Monday, January 4, 2010

"The Best Day"


I recently stumbled across Taylor Swift's newest music video, for her song entitled "The Best Day." When I began reading the lyrics, I contemplated on some of my best days and realized how many of them were accompanied my images of my mom, who just so happens to be my hero. Not only is my mother my hero, she is my best friend and my go-to. I could not think of a stronger person if I tried, and I admire her more and more with each new day. I realize that seasons change, as the lyrics of the song addresses, and that seasons of life bring change as well. However, one thing I know to be true is that my mother's love will never change with fading seasons of life. I consider myself unbelievably blessed because I have never once had to question the depth of my mother's love for me. Now sure, a teenage girl and her mom will not always agree on every issue, but that is expected and despite our occasional tiffs, I cannot stand to but heads with her for too long. I can only pray that my children and I will share the same kind of bond and that they will know the same assurance of my love for them as I do about my mother's love.
In my eyes, Debra Webb, my mother, is undescribably beautiful, brave, selfless, and strong. I pray that she too realizes these traits in herself, because they are unmistakable. Her most beautiful aspect, to me, is her faith in the Lord. I have watched her relationship with our Heavenly Father grow & develop over the years, and it has been an inspiration that fueled my own spiritual fire. I specifically remember her comforting words that would always come at just the right moment: "If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it." My mother never promised me perfection, never vowed to have all the answers, or proclaimed to hold eternal truth; instead, she led me to the One who does. For that, and so much more, I am forever thankful.
I cherish the "best days" we've already had, and those that are to come. I pray that we are able to share a lifetime of special moments and memories together. 

I love you mom!
I'm five years old, it's getting cold, I've got my big coat on
I hear your laugh and look up smiling at you, I run and run
Past the pumpkin patch and the tractor rides, look now, the sky is gold
I hug your legs and fall asleep on the way home
I don't know why all the trees change in the fall
But I know you're not scared of anything at all
Don't know if Snow White's house is near or far away
But I know I had the best day with you today
I'm thirteen now and don't know how my friends could be so mean
I come home crying and you hold me tight and grab the keys
And we drive and drive until we found a town far enough away
And we talk and window shop 'til I've forgotten all their names
I don't know who I'm gonna talk to now at school
But I know I'm laughing on the car ride home with you
Don't know how long it's gonna take to feel okay
But I know I had the best day with you today
I have an excellent father, his strength is making me stronger
God smiles on my little brother, inside and out, he's better than I am
I grew up in a pretty house and I had space to run
And I had the best days with you
There is a video I found from back when I was three
You set up a paint set in the kitchen and you're talking to me
It's the age of princesses and pirate ships and the seven dwarfs
And Daddy's smart and you're the prettiest lady in the whole wide world
And now I know why the all the trees change in the fall
I know you were on my side even when I was wrong
And I love you for giving me your eyes
For staying back and watching me shine
And I didn't know if you knew, so I'm takin' this chance to say

That I had the best day with you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment