Monday, January 11, 2010

Life As A Missions Trip

My school, Hickory Grove Baptist Christian School, recently implemented an idea that was birthed during 2009. The vision of multiple members of administration at my school was to fill a week full of missions. The idea was targeted at educating the high school students on what missions truly means, the various ways it can be done, how each of us can find our calling, and more. The majority of the senior class headed off to the Dominican Republic for their senior trip at 1:30 a.m. on Monday morning, which left the rest of the high school to embark on the first annual Missions Week.




I must say that being as in love and passionate with missions as I am, I was thrilled at the idea. Not only was my love of missions the root of my excitement, but my curiosity was as well. I know that my idea of 'missions' is very specific and naive, if I was honest with myself. I'm realizing that missions is not simply a cross-cultural submersion for long periods of time. Life is missions, if it is lived as God has desired for it to be. He gave each and every one of us the Great Commission to be lived out everyday of our lives, not just the 2 weeks I may dedicate each year to traveling overseas on a short-term missions trip. I'm also realizing that if He cannot trust us to perform our call here, in our own city, how can He trust us to reach the world? I ask myself this question just as much as I do anyone else. 
My youth pastor, Bobby Price, always challenges the members of Kingsway Baptist to "live life as a missions trip, and live it well." I don't succeed at that everyday, but my prayer is that as I embark on my journey through this new decade that I will fulfill that premise to a higher degree. 
Today, I would like to challenge you and myself with this: let us fulfill the Great Commission with each new sunrise. We have been called, let us answer. We are not promised tomorrow, but we have today. 




Matthew 28:18-20




"Then Jesus came to them and said, All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

No comments:

Post a Comment