Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Life As A Lifer

We walked into a very familiar room.
On the first day of kindergarten, as daunting as it was, this was the very place each of our mother's brought us. Throughout our first year of school at a place we would grow to know as home, Hickory Grove, we shared countless memories and milestones in that very room.
None of us imagined that weeks before our graduation we would be sitting in the very seats which we were assigned some thirteen years ago.
But this is, in fact, precisely where we found ourselves on the day to celebrate the Class of 2011 Lifers.
'Lifers' meaning each of us attended Hickory Grove all 13 years of school.
Needless to say, these people are more than peers, they are family.

Mr. Ward, a man very close to my heart, has been there for me through the years like few others. He has prayed with me, laughed alongside me, raced me in the gym, but most importantly he was the man that lead me to Christ some twelve years ago. Throughout the years I have always known him to be by joy-filled headmaster, until he retired at the beginning of my senior year.
Much to my surprise and excitement though, he still made time for the annual Lifer Day!

The day began with magic tricks, handwriting lessons, and Bible verses in child-size chairs...just like my first day of Kindergarten!




Mr. Ward also remembered to present us with the 'Class of the Week' prize...priceless!

Of course, a visit from Mr. Ward would not have been complete without a blow pop!


Then, the whole gang (pictured above) headed to the gym for a repeat of a race that we ran 13 years ago, almost to the day. As we watched Mr. Ward lace up his 'crazy shoes' as he refers to them, we prepared for the race of a lifetime =]
The girls might of given good 'ole Mr. Ward an advantage, but either way, he took home the W. 

The day was filled with laughs and smiles...


...Hugs and tears.

There are few people in this world that I love and respect as much as I do Henry Ward. He is a man after God's own heart to say the least and I would not be the person who I am today in the absence of the role he played in my life.

In light of Lifer Day, I dedicate this post to Mr. Ward, a man of God, who would give the shirt off his back to anyone in need. 
He taught me countless lessons I will carry through life, but one of my favorites was and continues to be, "Keep a smile on your face and your eyes on Jesus."
That's gold y'all. 

P.S. - JESUS MAKES ME H-A-P-P-Y
=]

No comments:

Post a Comment