Thursday, October 27, 2011

Faith Not Feelings

Can I be honest?
It is so easy for me to come here and pour my heart out when things are going smoothly,
when I feel the Lord with every passing second of the day.
But what about in the times when I feel nothing,
and that which I do feel, 
I wish I did not, because it hurts.
What about in those times?

This entire week has been one of 'those' times for me.
And I have been met with the question, 
"Will my lifesong still sing His praises?"

It is easy to view the Lord as faithful,
when things are lining up,
when plans are falling into place,
when its easy.

But what about when my world is seemingly falling apart,
when I feel completely alone, completely vulnerable, and completely insecure,
when I have no idea what the next day will hold?
Will I still proclaim His faithfulness?
Will I choose to cling to His covenant love?
Will I remember the Lord's faithfulness in my life?

Faith comes easily when there's nothing testing it.
But the Gospel teaches time and time again that 
we are called, as Christians, 
to endure suffering for the faith.
So yes, testing will come, trials will ensue,
but we must not loose sight of the hope to which we have been called.

So when you do not feel it. 
Remember that He is ever faithful.
And we do not live by feelings
we live by faith.

With good reason, because while this world threatens to send our emotions on a daily downward spiral, 
we can always return to the Word of the Lord,
and rest in knowing that
"Jesus Christ is the same today, yesterday and forever"
Hebrews 13:8

Faith not feelings.
Because He is ever faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment