Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Listen Up

Recently, my Bible Study leader here at SU challenged me to end my quiet time every morning with a time of simply being still before the Lord.
Basically, get out everything you need to say and just wait.
I wasn't quite sure how I felt about this.
Then it occurred to me, why haven't I ever made this a part of my daily time with the Lord.
Essentially, I ramble on and on, begging the Lord to answer my prayers, all the while, I can only imagine Him looking down saying, "Dear one, I would, but You'll need to give me a chance to speak."

I figured it was about time I listened for a change.
And a change it has been.

Honestly, I did not expect that every single day, the Lord would choose to be so personal with me, giving me a specific act of obedience based on my quiet time, or reminding me specifically of certain aspects of His character based on things I am struggling with.

Y'all, just as sovereign as our Lord is, He is sweet

Tomorrow concludes the first week of this new practice in my daily time with the Lord and it has drawn me so much closer to His heart.

I could have never anticipated what my time spent waiting on the Lord today would bring about. 
I'm still in awe, in fact.

For a little background, yesterday after my quiet time, I received an email about the Majors Fair at Samford, which was being hosted that day. 
I moved the message to my trash.
Why would I need a majors fair?
I've got this all figured out.
For reasons unbeknownst to myself, 
I moved the message right back to my inbox and began to read.
Immediately, something within me told me I needed to go to the Education School's table that day.
Umm...why?
I have never, nor do I now have, any desire to go back to 
high school, middle school, or elementary school,
as a part of my daily routine.

In fact, if you are around me for any extended amount of time,
you will probably at some point hear me say "You couldn't pay me enough to go back to those years."

So naturally, as I walked past the education table that morning, 
I inwardly laughed at the idea that the thought of looking into an Education Major would have ever crossed my mind.

Apparently, I reasoned, the communication connection
 from Heaven's doorstep and my dorm room was a little fuzzy that morning.
Okay, not funny, but really, 
I dismissed the Spirit's promptings instantaneously because it did not align with my plan.

So, this morning rolls around and I am waiting on the Lord, seeking His guidance and wisdom for today.
Yet again, this heavy burden is upon my heart, the same as yesterday.
At this point, I'm beyond confused.
Fine.
I gave in, opened the SU majors & minors webpage and began to read about the education program and courses.
My heart nearly burst.
Suddenly, it was as if everything I have become burdened for since coming to Samford collided into one glorious, beautiful picture.

My heart has been so heavy for orphans, those being trafficked, foster care, adoption, international missions, and so on.
But what was my role here? 
This question kept haunting my mind in the previous weeks.
Suddenly, I realized that the gift of education has impacted my life and deepened my relationship with and understanding of the Lord, 
and I could offer that to a child.
Maybe even my child, my orphan, my slave set free.

All of a sudden, my sweet roommate looks at me, 
unaware of the little world I was residing in and says to me,
 "Hey, have you ever thought about an education major?"
DEER IN HEADLIGHTS
Did God give you some kind of window into the curve ball He just threw me?
As you can imagine, I couldn't form a sentence.
So she says, "...because I have been considering 
changing from Psychology (both of our current major's) to education."
I about fell in the floor.
Needless to say, we chit chatted about it for a minute or two.

So, with this vision in sight and confirmation from my dear roommate, I e-mailed the advisor listed on the website, simply asking if she had anytime in the next couple weeks that we might could meet.
I got a response within the hour and we will now be meeting tomorrow afternoon.

Can I be honest?
I have no idea what the Lord has up His sleeve, if you will.
I no more want to spend the rest of my life in a high school than I did before my quiet time this morning.
But I have never been more at peace about the Lord's specific plan and purpose for my life than I am at this very moment.

You see, I simply asked Him to speak, as I have many times before, but this time, I chose to listen.
I did not, by any stretch of the imagination, get a response I expected.
My future is truly in the hands of my almighty creator.
I've given up 5 year plans, 6 month agendas...week long outlines, even.
He is in control.
Let go, listen up, He is ready to speak!

2 comments:

  1. Jordan, this is one of the most beautiful things I have read! Your sweet spirit and humility before the Lord is so encouraging and admirable! It is so incredible to see the Lord at work in your life and how His hand is upon everything! I love you dearly friend and I am blessed by you more than you will ever know.

    p.s. secretly, I have always thought you would make a great teacher :)

    ReplyDelete