Friday, October 7, 2011

Storms

Most of us have heard the story of Jesus calming the ocean and walking on the water with the disciples in the midst of a raging storm. 
However, a dear friend here at Samford gave me a window
 into what the Holy Spirit allowed her to see with "fresh eyes" in this passage 
and I just had to share.

Mark 6:47-50
"When  evening came, the boat was in the middle of the lake, and he was alone on land. He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them. About the fourth watch of the night he went out to them, walking on the lake. He was about to pass by them; but when they saw him walking on he lake, they thought he was a ghost. They cried out, because they all saw him and were terrified. Immediately he spoke to them and said, "take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." Then he climbed into the boat with them and the wind died down. They were completely amazed. 

As I read this passage aloud at Kelsie's request, 
I drew the same conclusion I always had from this passage. 
But then, she asked me to focus on the times noted.

Evening and The Fourth Watch of The Night.
Okay?
So basically, around sunset and 3 am.
The disciples were apparently late night fishers,
but where was the significance in that?

Kelsie pointed out that the storm began long before Jesus walked out 
and calmed the waters.
The disciples were in the boat, wondering and struggling through a storm,
but Jesus saw.
All along, He had seen the storm, He was not unaware.

Does this make Jesus cruel for causing the disciples to wait rather than providing an immediate rescue?
I do not believe it does.
In fact, I believe the Lord was allowing them to "struggle" in order to build their faith,
so that when He did rescue them,
"they took courage...and were completely amazed."

That's beauty.
That's perseverance of faith.
That's testing.

Just because He doesn't remove the storm completely and immediately,
does not mean that Jesus is unsympathetic, uninvolved, or unaware.
There is a purpose to the storms of life when we are fighting with the Lord on our side.
"Take courage & don't be afraid!" 
In the good and the bad,
we have a very present help.

Why did this hit home so much?
My journey here at Samford has not been quite what I expected or hoped for,
but I am learning that my expectations can be met in ways completely unimagined,
when I surrender to the Lord's work in my life.
Can't wait to share more on this journey!

Don't forget: Jesus sees your storm and is calling on you to take courage and not to be afraid!

No comments:

Post a Comment