Friday, January 20, 2012

No More Because I Am Made For More

Yesterday, I was feeling a little ambitious after glancing on Pinterest. 
I ventured over to Hobby Lobby and had quite the crafternoon.
[Excuse the corniness]

I gathered everything I needed to make my first Pinterest masterpiece, 
and I got to work.
However, the entire time, I was thinking thoughts like,
"What in good heavens gave you the idea you could do this?"
"Stop now, you're going to mess this up."
"See, you are messing this up."
"The dumpster is about the only homely place for this piece of work."

By the end of the process, I felt condemned...
about a craft nonetheless.
It sounds crazy, I know it does, and maybe I am,
but I could not stop thinking about the 
thought process that ruined my crafternoon.

You see, the end result may have ended up the very same 
as it would have if I had a positive outlook and 
chosen to refute those thoughts,
but the experience was entirely different.
My experience was highly unenjoyable
though it had the potential to be enjoyable.

I think life is like that.
More specifically, I think my daily life is like that.

I don't get to enjoy the experience or the process
because I am basking in condemnation.
It hurts, it is awful, and I hate it,
but I accept it and take ownership over it.
So that by the end of an experience, 
I am so wounded and winded from the journey 
that I can't even enjoy the outcome.

Thoughts like,
"How could someone so weak be used by the Lord."
"Cute couple. Better admire from afar. 
That's as close to a Godly relationship as you'll ever get."
"Why try, you will only fail."
"If you looked like her, maybe then..."
You see the destructive nature of these condemning lies and accusations?
No wonder I lay may head to sleep at night 
feeling as though I just fought World War 3
I did, in my mind, and I lost.

But I decided yesterday that because, 
"There is now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus," 
(Romans 8:1) I will not carry condemnation into my daily life any longer.
This too will be a process of change,
but Christ speaks life and love,
so why should I accept anything less?

I do not want to get to the end of my life, 
whenever that may be,
and realize that though the end result looks similar,
I did not enjoy the experiences and the process,
because condemnation ruled in my heart.

Satan wins a victory when I allow this to happen.
He loves to see us so beaten and battered along the journey 
that our destination is no longer desirable.
But we were made for more

Choose to believe what Christ says to you and about you. 

1 comment: